onsdag 23. september 2009

No mail!

So it's already gone past the point where it doesn't seem that there will be any mail today. Irritating, but mostly because we actually haven't gotten any mail at all. Anyway, I thought I'd take the oppertunity to talk a little about where my first search will be.

Now, the place I live at is called Isveien. In english that means "The iceway". The reason for this name is because about a hundred years ago, people used to cut out big chunks of ice from a place called Østenstad-dammen. Which is about a man-made pond about 500 meters wide or so. Anyway, as I said, people used to take ice-blocks out from that pond and drag them down to the shore, about 1 kilometer away. Here they were loaded on to ships, that sent them different places all around the world. The ice itself was used for cooling down food and materials.

What I hope to find is some evidence of this. Bolts, screws, coins and maybe even some equipment used for hacking out the ice (if I'm lucky).

P.S. As I wrote this, the mail actually came, but no luck. There was only bills.

Quantonium~

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar